Indian Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal presented the Railway Budget of 2013-2014.It is very happy to hear that railway will take some advanced steps for women safety. Railway decided to give 10% reservation for women in RPF ( Railway Protection Force) and also decided to increase the number of women in RPF.Corporate safety plan proposed in the Budget. In the Budget Railway decided to take more safety measures to control the accident rate including elephant corridor safety.
Measures for improving Safety and Security
- Making a Corporate Safety Plan for a ten year period (2014-2024).
- Elimination of 10797 level crossings during the 12th Plan and no addition of new LCs to the IR system henceforth.
- Introduction of Train Protection Warning System on Automatic Signalling Systems.
- Rigorous trials of the indigenously developed Train Collision Avoidance System.
- Using 60 kg rails, 260 meter long welded rail panels and improved flash butt welding technology.
- Introduction of 160/200 kmph Self Propelled Accident Relief Trains.
- Induction of crash worthy LHB coaches with anti-climb feature.
- Rehabilitation of identified 17 distressed bridges over next one year.
- Provision of comprehensive fire and smoke detection systems.
- Provision of portable fire extinguishers in Guard-cum-Brake Vans, AC Coaches and Pantry Cars in all trains.
- Use of fire retardant furnishing materials in coaches.
- Measures initiated to deal with elephant related accidents.
- Four companies of women RPF personnel set up and another 8 to be set up to strengthen the security of rail passengers, especially women passengers.
- Recruitment to RPF with 10% vacancies reserved for women.